作为音乐治疗专业的学生, you will develop your skills and interests in small classes taught by attentive, 支持教师.
- Build clinical music skills through individual lessons in piano, guitar and voice that are tailored to your learning needs and abilities.
- Learn music therapy methods through personal experience in the 亩ic and Wellness course.
获得专业经验, you will complete supervised fieldwork experiences in different clinical settings to observe, 协助, 主持音乐治疗. You will learn how music therapy applies to diverse clinical populations, including children with special needs, people with medical or psychiatric problems, and adults in hospice or palliative care. 教师 will support you during the internship placement process to match your interests with an appropriate site, 人口或位置. Our students have recently interned at places such as:
- Easter Seals of Southeast Pennsylvania
- Nemours Children’s 健康 System
- Royer-Greaves School for the Blind
- 节奏! 音乐疗法服务
- Kennedy Krieger研究所
- Northbrook Behavioral 健康 Hospital
You can also 参与 a range of co-curricular activities and enrichment programs, 包括音乐治疗俱乐部, regional and national conferences, and national and international guest presentations.
无瑕论也提供了 master’s degree in music therapy if you want to continue your education. 在大四的时候, you can take nine graduate credits that will count toward both your undergraduate and graduate degree in music therapy, 不收取额外费用.
- Opportunity for direct entry into IU’s advanced music therapy professional and/or counseling track master’s degree
- Free continuing education program for students and alumni
Recent faculty-mentored research projects have explored questions such as:
- Does live versus recorded music have different physiological effects on listeners?
- Is instrumental pop or classical music more relaxing to college music majors?
- Does music played on a Steinway piano versus a digital piano have different effects on listeners’ heart rate variability?
- Does background music help or hurt students’ ability to focus and learn?
亩ic therapists work in a wide variety of clinical and educational settings: hospitals, 精神病院, 养老院, 社区精神卫生中心, 监狱, 学校, 私人诊所, 和临终关怀设施. As the profession continues to grow, music therapists with clinical experience and advanced degrees are increasingly in demand, particularly in psychiatric settings and hospitals. Immaculata receives many requests for 协助ance in finding music therapists to fill positions, and these are shared with interns and graduates.
Our alumni have been hired at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Artistic Elements 亩ic Instruction & Therapy, Royer Greaves School for the Blind, 季节临终关怀, St. Luke’s University 健康 Network and Northbrook Behavioral 健康 Hospital.
“Immaculata’s music therapy program prepared me for not only the academic portion of the field but also the clinical fieldwork that is required. The music therapy program gave me ample opportunities to observe, 参与, and lead music therapy experiences. Immaculata provided me with an excellent education and practicums that allowed me to work with multiple populations to help decide which population I may want to work with.”
—Paige Gale ’18, MT-BC, music therapist at 季节临终关怀 and Palliative Care
Students who are pursuing substance abuse treatment education or internships may be eligible for a $1,000 scholarship made available through the 措施来恢复 treatment facility in Levittown, PA.
The 亩ic Therapy program at Immaculata is accredited by the National Association for Schools of 亩ic (NASM), the American 亩ic Therapy Association (AMTA) and the Certification Board for 亩ic Therapists (CBMT).
Grounded in IHM tradition and charism since 1920.
Find out what an IU education can do for your mind, your character and your future.